Wednesday, August 17, 2016

What it means to be a Role Model

What a week it has been with the Olympics. If you are anything like me, it has been extremely hard to keep your eyes off the screen. Between questioning whether or not Phelps is human, to being blown away by Simone Biles, the action has been non-stop and top-notch excitement.

There also have been many "aww"-evoking moments. And the one I would like to talk about is the relationship between Michael Phelps and Katie Ledecky. Twelve years separate them in age, but the sport of swimming continues to bring them closer. Ledecky always looked up to Phelps during her early years and to think she would now see her last name on the same headline as his must feel so unreal. Phelps has even voiced in post-race interviews how stunned he is by Ledecky's performances.


Now, ten years after little Ledecky got Michael Phelps' autograph, it was his turn to get hers. So as we all smile, laugh, and "aww" over the recent "recreation photograph" that was taken, we have to look at the bigger message here: What it means to be a role model.

As an athlete, you are constantly setting goals for yourself. While your workouts, your coach's master plans, and your everyday hard work are all factors in helping you reach those goals, it's when you have an example that has already been set for you that keeps the fire alive. An example of how to succeed and be tough, the type of athlete who is going to inspire you on your worst days and your best days; those athletes then become one of the best factors that help you achieve greatness.

They are able to say: "Hey, look what I did." So then, in turn, you can say, "Hey look, I can do it too."

That is why it is so important for athletes to remember that they are constantly setting an example, good or bad. Athletes do so much more than make a lot of money (sometimes) and play a sport, all while putting on entertainment for America. And that can easily be forgotten. But as an athlete yourself, those are rarely ever the things you are thinking about when you look up to these individuals.

And now more than ever, it is easier to look up to certain athletes. For example, during my last season our coach wanted each event group to start following a professional runner (who runs our event) on any and all social media outlets. So we did. And I began following Brenda Martinez. Who knew that seeing a post here and there would be the perfect reminder to continue to push myself, to reach for that next step, and to achieve success...because it's out there (even if I didn't believe it).

And it's more than just a social media relationship, you become invested in these athletes. So when their Olympic dreams don't turn out as planned, you are right there in heartbreak with them...and that is what makes the world of sport so incredible.

So I just hope these athletes remember that they have a million little eyes gazing up at them saying, "One day I want to be just like _____." Because for me, the biggest reward as an athlete is to inspire the next generation to be the best they can be. I hope every day that I left my team knowing that it's an honor to be an athlete, and to never take that for granted.

One of my favorite questions as a little kid was, "Who is your favorite baseball player?" And I would answer without hesitation: Derek Jeter. Why? Sure he was young and cute and A YANKEE. But come on. He was the one athlete who showed me from the very beginning what it meant to work hard, stay humble, and be a team player. So throughout my 14 or so years of athletics, serious athletics, what do you think I did?

I worked hard. I stayed humble. And I was always a team player.

No comments:

Post a Comment