Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Can't Tame the Tiger

Last night, Michael Phelps did something I think we've all been waiting for: he shut-up Chad Le Clos.

We all know the fury inside Phelps ignited back in London in 2012 when Le Clos snatched the gold from him in the race that should just be named after Phelps by now -- 200m Fly. But all hope was lost when Phelps announced his retirement. That was it. Over. No second chance...Until in April 2014 when Alexa Paige's 2012 plea-Tweet finally came true:
Yes. He came back for the biggest splash yet: Payback.

Through the years leading up to the Rio Olympics, there was a little bit of back and forth with who swam faster and when (not against each other, of course). Phelps made ton of mistakes, followed by doing a ton of growing up, while Le Clos, and his father simply grew cockier. 



Chad, haven't you learned to not fire-up Phelps? Well, you learned last night didn't you?

I was on the edge of my seat during the 200m Butterfly, right there with the rest of America. But was anyone else worried about Masato Sakai like I was? Just inches from the wall and I was having horrific flashbacks to 2012 and could barely watch as the men finally touched the wall: seconds feeling like hours. 

But when all was said and done, I could breathe and Phelps finally received the gold medal he deserved. Come on, you know I am right. And before I go, let's talk about that medal ceremony, shall we?

Michael took the podium, was given his medal, now cue the national anthem...

Courtesy of www.SI.com
You could see emotions completely taking over Phelps' facial expressions, even tears beginning to fill his eyes. But then, right towards the end of the anthem, he begins to laugh. At first, I was like, "Okay, he is just so overwhelmed, can't control his tears, and now he can't help but laugh about it." Then I started to realize this was not the case. He was down-right, full-on laughing. He even capped off the anthem by pointing to the stands.

So of course I was curious and had to investigate...

Turns out, Phelps had some buddies from Baltimore in the stands and they did exactly what they would do at an Orioles game...shout "O!" during that part of the anthem. Cute, right? And can you blame Phelps? The guy just won the race of his life (if you ask me), he's on the podium crying, then he sees some of his best buds from Baltimore and New York right there in the stands...in Rio. I am not making excuses. Don't get me wrong, I am not very happy about this...definitely not the most classiest thing you could've done, Michael.

But still, talk about a powerful night.

No comments:

Post a Comment