Monday, September 19, 2016

I felt like Saban this Saturday

To my blog readers: I apologize I have been away for so long. But I am back...and I am fired up.

It was finally Ole Miss week and my schedule finally allowed me to sit my butt down on the couch and be consumed in every down of the game. And let's just say...it was the most stressful few hours I've had in a long time. I loved it, don't get me wrong. But woah.
Courtesy of: AL.com
From the first kick off, I was uneasy. What Bama fan wouldn't be? There was so much hype coming into this game regarding Ole Miss and their past two years of success against us. "Can they go for 3?" "No team has ever beaten Saban 3 consecutive years in a row." If that doesn't get your heart racing, I don't know what will.

Stupid mistakes. It was an entire first half of stupid, frustrating, down-right mistakes. That is why I felt like Saban this Saturday. The post-game conference Saban that we saw last Saturday. You know, the one when he said, "I don't know if I have ever been this disappointed after winning a game, maybe ever."

Yes, of course I am happy we won. But I am NOT happy about how we got there.

So let's recap, shall we?

1st Half:
Hurts overthrew to a WIDE OPEN Hentges in the end zone. I get it, it happens. But he was wide open, no stress there. Set yourself up, make the throw. And Hentges, you can be ready for a little overthrow...come on.
Courtesy of: AL.com
There were three, yes 3 false starts in too short a period of time. TWO of them being from Cam Robinson (74). I know, I am excited too, but KEEP YOURSELF STILL, MAN.

Ha this is a good one...its 3rd & 21 and they decide to run a RUNNING PLAY. Kiffin, OPEN YOUR EYES. Have you not been watching this 1st half? How many of your running plays have been successful thus far in this game? Exactly. Throw the damn ball when it's 3rd & 21...you know better.

Courtesy of: AL.com
And speaking of plays not going the way they should...I swear I thought for a while there we were going to continue to run more NEGATIVE yard plays than positive ones. Talk about becoming frustrated. It seriously felt like one mistake after another. Painful.

Ah, Hurts...the freshman... with seven minutes to go in the half, no one around you, you're going to let the ball just slip RIGHT OUT OF YOUR HANDS. I was speechless...You drew your arm back to set up for a beautiful Alabama throw, I was ready, but then, the ball just comes tumbling down...And by this point, there were so many mistakes in the game I was starting to really question whether or not you are ready. But then I reminded myself, Nick Saban is your coach. And well, I trust that man more than anything. So fine. I'll let it go...this time.

Maybe it was the hurry-up offense that Ole Miss was running all day long. Did that make you boys shake in your boots? I mean I don't blame you...but why don't we start matching that. (This is the ONLY time I will give props to Ole Miss: That hurry-up offense was quite beautiful, I cannot tell a lie).

So now we have the largest deficient since the 2009 Sugar Bowl against Utah, clock reads 1:05 until the half and then finally, the Rebels' punt was returned 85 yards for an Alabama touchdown. Thank you, Eddie Jackson for giving some bit of hope before returning to the locker room.

14 points scored in 65 seconds...well, it sure did take them long enough.

24-17 Ole Miss up at the half, and Saban says what we are all thinking: we are not playing with poise and we need to execute better in the second half.

2nd Half
So now the second half comes around, and I will admit, I don't have all too much to say. The big story here was the 1st half. But, our boys returned from that locker room and I think they pulled on a new identity...the one that reminded them that they play for the Crimson Tide of Alabama and they better start acting like it. That is when the touchdowns, fumble recoveries, and interceptions started to show up. Did my blood pressure settle? Ha, you wish. But was I happier? Did I have more hope in us making up for the nasty 1st half mistakes? Yes. And at the end of the day, we were able to put Chad Kelly and the rest of the Rebels back where they belong: on the bottom of the scoreboard. 
Courtesy of: AL.com
Now let's have a week of good practices, reflections on those mistakes, and let's keep our attitudes in check when we take the field against Kent State next weekend. Got it? Good. 

Roll Tide.

No comments:

Post a Comment